The Lancashire Hedgehog Care Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring has sprung!

2 posters

Go down

Spring has sprung! Empty Spring has sprung!

Post  ROCKIT Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 pm

So after a long wait it would seem that Spring is finally pushing her nose around the corner and we see the signs that wildlife is finally appearing everywhere. In the last couple of days I have seen my first Bat of the season, followed by a couple of Swallows, a Bullfinch, Yellowhammers a Bumblebee and various other examples of species that you only see in the Spring, Summer and Autumn. Winter must have gone at last!
I havn't yet seen any Hedgehogs though.
I have been putting out some food over a field area over the last few weeks and it would appear that it has encouraged other wildlife to use the space around my home, more rabbits than normal, a couple of Barn Owls have made it there business to quarter across the field and are returning quite regularly, so they must be finding food, which means field voles and similar must be finding the food useful.
Last week I had a rare sight whilst visiting a buddy of mine, he is an Agricultural Engineer and works from a large open workshop/barn, cold it certainly has been. He is always happy for me to visit and I try not to stop him working. He is always happy to talk animals and wildlife in general. In the eaves of his home, he has Barn Owls that have been there for four or five years! Anyways, as I was leaving I drove literally 50 yards down the road, and as I did so a small flock of birds flew up the road in front of my car. In the middle was a bird about the size of a Partridge, maybe slightly smaller, being chased by all manner of small birds. Chaffinches, Tits and the like chasing this bird up the lane. The bigger bird landed on a fence pole at the side of the road and as I drove past, I got a good view of............ A Little Owl!
I've never seen one before, and now my buddy is spending more and more time looking for it! I feel guilty!

I thought I would share this little story with you guys and will add more in the near future.

If you have any similar stories, or you have seen anything interesting (A Hedgehog) for instance, put up a post on here. This facility can be a great resource, please use it!

All the best from Goosnargh.

ROCKIT

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung! Empty Barn Owls

Post  ROCKIT Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Spent an hour tonight watching the two Barn Owls (not at the same time) floating around over the fields next door to the house.
They really look as though they are floating like a balloon. A truly wonderful sight to see!

ROCKIT

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung! Empty A new bird!

Post  ROCKIT Sat May 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, another spell of wet weather is upon us. What a surprise!
Over the last few days I have been aware that there has been a bird singing a lovely tune from a tree just by my home. I couldn't make out where it was at first and it has taken a couple of evenings to spot just where it was perched, claiming its patch amongst the increasingly green countryside.
So there it was again today, singing away, this time I managed to get inside and find my old binoculars.
Searched amongst the branches of the tree that I thought it was in and managed to find it amongst the newly green leaves. It was very small, but very loud, and I couldn't quite make out just what it was. Then it started to preen itself and I noticed it had a black head. It was a Blackcap.
This bird is part of the Warbler group of birds and this was the first time I had seen or heard one.
Anyway, here is a link to a picture and the song that can be heard, most evenings around my home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLkBVToXR9I

Thanks for reading!

ROCKIT

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung! Empty Nature can be cruel!

Post  ROCKIT Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Sat at my desk in the office this afternoon and suddenly one of the dogs started to bark at something out on the road.

Spring has sprung! 43bb6050-68d4-44b2-aea4-084c44493dde_zps90247b76

They like to pay attention by looking out of the gate.
Anyways, there was a comotion going on and they both wanted a part of it!
I went outside to see birds flapping about under one of the cars, on closer inspection I could see that there was a Magpie, a Blackbird that kept flying in and attacking the Magpie and that the Magpie was actually attacking a smaller bird! Once I had chased the Magpie away (it sat on a post not ten yards away watching what was happening) I managed to get a view of just what it was attacking, It was a young Thrush! It had been badly wounded on its back and had lost any feathers that it may have had from its tail!
Anyway, once the attack had finished the Thrush was taken to hide in a lush garden close by, I was then attacked by the Blackbird!! Last I saw, the Thrush was still alive.
Life for a young bird can be cruel!

ROCKIT

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung! Empty Little Owl

Post  The Hedgehog Lady Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 am

Now I am so jealous you have seen a Little Owl.  They have to be the cutest thing ever!  Saw one once at Barn Owl Bill's stall at a fundraising event a while ago and I was totally hooked.  Love owls.
The Hedgehog Lady
The Hedgehog Lady
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Spring has sprung! Empty Re: Spring has sprung!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down