The Lancashire Hedgehog Care Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi

4 posters

Go down

Hi  Empty Hi

Post  Hameldal Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 am

Hi all,
My name is Jules, i heard about a friend who was asking about release sites for some baby hoglets they rescued and it got me thinking if this was a thing that was needed near us? (we live in Accrington) I also wondered what you look for in a site and how many hedgehogs you would release in the same area ?
My Mum and Dad live next to a park and we often found sick hedgehogs when we were kids. We had one visit regularly when we first moved into our house 10 years ago, but after a year we never saw him again.
My husband and I have 2 kids and 5 dogs and a large garden and live near woodland and open countryside.
I'd love to help in our area if we can :-)
Jules x

Hameldal

Back to top Go down

Hi  Empty Re: Hi

Post  The Hedgehog Lady Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Jules and welcome to our Forum.

We try to release in as safe an area as possible: away from busy roads, areas where sprays / chemicals are used and we don't release where there are badgers. We now try to release in an area where there are no foxes as we now have proof that a fox will take healthy hedgehogs whether adult or youngsters. Always difficult as foxes seem to be everywhere these days. The babies will need to be at least 450 - 500 gms before they are released at this time of year and I would not release more than two in the same area. Would be also handy to have a nestbox where you release and it would help if someone could put out food and water for several evenings until they get themselves established. Also bear in mind that an adult hedgehog can travel 2 miles in a night so you have to take into account the surrounding area you are releasing into. Hope that helps. Very Happy
The Hedgehog Lady
The Hedgehog Lady
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  williams_john Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:40 am

Hello,
I,m Williams, come here just to say hey to all seniors.....I enjoy with this community...I expected much more from this community........
vivite vibrance

williams_john

http://www.viviteonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Hedgehog Lady Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:19 am

Hello John and welcome to our forum. Please feel free to post and questions you may have on hedgehogs - or anything else for that matter!
The Hedgehog Lady
The Hedgehog Lady
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 am

Hello,
I,m Anderson.....
New on this board.Welcome to all old members of this community...
I hope you all guys will enjoy here.......

anderson

http://www.everdryny.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 am

Hello,
I,m Mitchal.....
New on this board.Welcome to all old members of this community...
I hope you all guys will enjoy here.......

jewellery boxes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum